Get a Quote
Moss & Lichen - What you need to know
Have you ever wondered what moss & lichen can do to your roof? Check out our short video that explains how moss & lichen spread, and what they can do to your roof.
Left unattended, moss, mould and lichen can severely damage your roof. Unchecked these growths can;
- Block the water channels of the tiles, which could cause leaks
- Damage the protective surface coating on the tile
- Cause deterioration to the ridging and mortar
- Decrease the longevity of the roof
- Void the Manufacturer's Warranty
- Cause permanent etching to the coating and substrate
RoofGuard® Moss & Grime Removal
RoofGuard® Moss and Grime Removal is the first step in our maintenance program and will remove the moss and lichen from your roof, reduce water retention and unblock water channels.
RoofGuard® Moss Proofing
After your roof has been weathered clean, which takes around 12 months, we will undertake a RoofGuard® Moss Proofing treatment, which we recommend you continue to apply every two to three years. The RoofGuard® Moss Proofing program stops regrowth, and maintains the appearance and structural integrity of your roof.
60 Years' experience and our RoofGuard® guarantee
We've been treating roofs in New Zealand for over 60 years, and our gentle solution and a little time are all that your roof needs to keep it clean and clear. We offer a one-year guarantee that if any moss & lichen re-grows on your roof, we'll come back and treat it for free.
I want to book a treatment - what do I need to do now?
Click the Get a Quote link and complete your details, and one of our roofing experts will be in touch. We'll visit your home to give you a free roof appraisal, and then we'll find the right option for your roof.
Get a Quote
Frequently Asked Questions
Roof Treatment cleaning is the process of spraying the algae, mold, mildew, lichen, and moss on your roof to remove this organic material over time. These elements, if left unattended, can cause deterioration of roofing materials, leading to leaks and the need for costly repairs. Regular cleaning extends the life of your roof, and maintains your home's aesthetic appealing.
RoofGuard® Moss & Grime Removal is a professional cleaning service designed to eradicate moss, lichen, and other organic growth from your roof. This process not only cleans your roof but also helps prevent potential damage caused by these organisms, such as increased water retention and blocked water channels.
The frequency at which you should have your roof cleaned can vary depending on a number of environmental and structural factors. Here are a few key considerations:
- Local Climate: In areas with high humidity, frequent rain, or proximity to the ocean, roofs may be more prone to algae, mold, and moss growth, necessitating more frequent cleaning. For such climates, cleaning every 1 to 2 years can be necessary.
- Vegetation: Roofs under or near trees, especially those that drop leaves or pine needles, may require cleaning more often to prevent organic debris from accumulating and retaining moisture on the roof surface.
- Existing Growth: If you have noticed moss, lichen, or algae on your roof, a cleaning schedule should be more regular to prevent these growths from causing damage.
- Manufacturer's Recommendations: Always refer to the roofing material manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance to ensure compliance with warranty conditions.
As a general guideline, a cleaning performed at least every 2 to 3 years. However, at Edwards & Hardy Roofing, we can assess your specific situation, including the factors mentioned above, and give a recommendation tailored to your roof's condition and your environmental circumstances. This ensures that you get the most appropriate cleaning frequency without over or under-servicing your roof.
Roof cleaning can be dangerous and may result in damage to your roof if not done correctly. Professional roof cleaning operators have the equipment, experience, and expertise to clean your roof safely and effectively. We recommend that homeowners avoid DIY roof cleaning and instead rely on a qualified professionals.
Properly performed roof cleaning will not affect the manufacturer's warranty. Our technicians are trained to clean roofs according to industry best practices and the specifications of roofing material manufacturers to ensure that your warranty remains intact.
The duration of a roof cleaning process can vary significantly depending on several factors. These include the size and pitch of the roof, the extent of dirt, algae, or moss growth, the cleaning methods used, and the weather conditions at the time of cleaning. A roof on a typical single-family home may take anywhere from a few hours up to a full day to clean. Larger roofs or those on commercial properties can take a full day or several days to clean. The complexity of the roof design can also add to the cleaning time. Roofs that are hard to access or require special safety measures can take longer to clean. Safety is a priority, so extra precautions may add to the overall duration.
Moss and lichen pose several risks to roofing materials and can lead to long-term damage if not properly managed:
- Moisture Damage: Moss absorbs and retains moisture, which can lead to the deterioration of roofing materials. In regions with freeze-thaw cycles, this moisture can freeze and expand, causing shingles or tiles to crack or break.
- Root Systems: Both moss and lichen can develop root-like structures that adhere strongly to shingles and other roofing materials. Over time, these can cause the edges of shingles to lift, which compromises the roof's ability to shed water and can lead to leaks.
- Decay and Corrosion: The persistent dampness caused by moss and lichen can promote wood rot on wooden roofing components and rust on metal fixtures like nails and flashing.
- Blocked Gutters and Downpipes: As moss and lichen grow, pieces can break off and fall into gutters, leading to blockages and water overflow that can cause additional damage to the roof and the structure's foundations.
- Aesthetic Damage: Besides structural issues, moss and lichen can cause aesthetic damage, leaving unsightly green, black, or white patches that diminish the roof's appearance and potentially affect property value.
Our RoofGuard® Moss and Grime Removal service is a critical component of our maintenance program designed to tackle and eradicate moss and lichen from your roof. This process not only clears these growths but also aids in reducing water retention and ensures that water channels are unobstructed, preserving the functionality and longevity of your roofing system.
RoofGuard® Moss Proofing is a preventative treatment applied after your roof has been thoroughly cleaned—a process which typically takes around 12 months. To sustain the roof's clean appearance and structural integrity, we advise reapplication of the RoofGuard® Moss Proofing treatment every two to three years. This treatment is specially formulated to prevent the regrowth of moss and lichen.